|1 cup||low-sodium chicken broth|
|1 clove||garlic, crushed|
|1/2 medium||onion, coarsely chopped|
|1 teaspoon||ground cumin, divided|
|1 teaspoon||kosher salt|
|1 cup||long-grain white rice|
|1 1/2 pounds||boneless, skinless chicken (breast or thighs)|
|1 cup||corn kernels|
|1/4 cup||pepper, chopped|
|1 can||red kidney beans|
- Mix together the tomatoes (leave 1/4 cup aside), broth, garlic, half of the chopped onion, half the cumin and the salt in a blender. There should be about 2 cups, if there isn't enough, add water or broth and blend to combine.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the rice and cook, until fragrant. Add the tomato purée and the bay leaf, stir to combine, and ensure that no rice gets stuck to the bottom. Bring to boil and let simmer approx. 15 minutes, until rice is tender. Make sure to use a spatula to scrape the edges of the pan while it's simmering.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into small cubes, and season with salt and the remaining cumin. Heat another frying pan with oil over medium heat, add chicken and cook until it is cooked through. Let cool slightly after cooking.
- While the rice and chicken are cooking, prepare the vegetables. Mix together pepper, remaining tomato and cilantro.
- Place a placeholder ramekin or small cup into the centre of a large bowl. Around the ramekin, place the chicken, the rice, the corn, and the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with onion, green onion, beans, lettuce, chopped avocado. Remove the ramekin and put a dollop of sour cream in the hole. Serve with chips or tortillas.
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like