2 hours 15 minutes // refrigerate: 30 minutes(Cooking)
|1 cup||unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|2 cups||all purpose flour|
|1/4 cup||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
|1/2 tsp||kosher salt|
|1 1/2 cups||sugar|
|2 tsp||pure vanilla extract|
|2 tsp||apple cider vinegar|
|1 tbsp||red food colouring|
|cream cheese frosting|
|butter, for pans|
|flour, for pans|
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add 1/3 flour mixture, followed by half the buttermilk, another 1/3 flour, the remaining buttermilk, and finally the remaining flour.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Transfer one of the cooled cakes to a plate and spread with frosting. Top with the remaining cake and spread the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like