1 hour 30 minutes(Cooking)
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie) Recipe
|1 lb||phyllo pastry|
|1/2 cup||extra virgin olve oil|
|1/4 cup||olive oil|
|2 lb||spinach, cleaned, tough stems removed|
|6||spring onion, cleaned, sliced in 1/4" lengths|
|1||leek, sliced in 1/4" lengths|
|1 medium||red onion, finely chopped|
|3/4 lb||feta cheese, crumbled|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Add garlic, onions and leek. Sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach and sauté until leaves are wilted and liquid has cooked off, about 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly. Finely chop spinach and place in large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Lightly oil a 12" metal baking pan.
- Add feta cheese to spinach, lightly salt and pepper to taste. Pour eggs over and mix all the ingredients well.
- Open phyllo pastry and place on flat work surface. Cover with a clean damp kitchen towel. Continue to cover stack as you remove each sheet.
- Layer half the phyllo in the pan, brushing each sheet generously with olive oil, allowing edges to hang over the sides.
- Put spinach mixture in and press the top down gently to smooth filling. Tuck in pastry draping over edges.
- Repeat layering with remaining phyllo, continuing to oil each layer.
- Using a sharp knife, score the upper layers (do not cut through to the bottom) into the pieces you will want to serve once it is ready.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool and serve.
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like