The Best Apple Pie Recipe
|3/4 cup||(175 mL) shortening|
|3 tbsp||(45 mL) butter, softened|
|2-1/4 cups||(550 mL) all-purpose flour|
|3/4 tsp||(4 mL) salt|
|1/2 cup||(125 mL) Ice water|
|8 cups||(2 L) thinly sliced peeled tart apples, (2-1/4 lb/ 1. 12 kg)|
|2 tbsp||(30 mL) lemon juice|
|1/2 cup||(125 mL) brown sugar|
|3 tbsp||(45 mL) all-purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp||(2 mL) cinnamon|
|2 tsp||(10 mL) granulated sugar|
- In bowl, beat shortening with butter until smooth; mix in flour and salt. Pour in water all at once; stir until loose dough forms. With floured hands, gather into 2 balls. On well-floured surface, gently knead each into 3/4-inch thick disc. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled.
- On well-floured flat work surface and a floured rolling pin, roll out 1 piece of dough from centre, lifting pin at edge to maintain even thickness. Turn rolling pin clockwise 90 degrees. Repeat rolling out and turning dough. Loosely roll dough around rolling pin; unroll into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Using sharp knife, trim edge even with pie plate.
- Prepare filling: In large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Stir together sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss until coated. Scrape into pie shell. Brush pastry rim with water.
- Roll out remaining dough. Using rolling pin, drape over apples, without stretching dough. Trim, leaving 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Gently lift bottom pastry rim and fold overhang under rim; press together to seal into scalloped edge. With small decorative cutter or tip of sharp knife, cut steam vents in centre of pie.
- Whisk yolk with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in bottom third of 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C); bake for 40 minutes or until golden, filling is bubbly and apples are soft when pierced with knife through vent. Let cool on rack.
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like