1 hour 20 minutes(Cooking)
Kerala Style Malabar Fish Biriyani Recipe
|1/2 kg||king fish|
|1 tbsp||ginger, crushed|
|1 tbsp||garlic, crushed|
|1 tbsp||green chili, crushed|
|1 tbsp||coriander powder|
|1 tbsp||butter (ghee), or vegetable oil|
|2 tsp||chili powder|
|1/2 tsp||pepper powder|
|1 tsp||turmeric powder|
|1 tbsp||cashew nuts, soaked in water|
|2 cups||basmati rice|
|2 tbsp||butter (ghee)|
|1-2 tbsp||lemon juice|
- Grind together all the ingredients for marination into a fine paste. Marinate the cleaned fish pieces with this paste for ½ an hour.
- Grind together the ingredients for white paste and keep aside.
- Shallow fry the marinated fish until it is half cooked.
- Add 1 tablespoon ghee to this oil and saute the onion till it becomes soft. Add the crushed ginger, garlic and green chilli & saute for 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon coriander powder. When the oil starts appearing add the tomatoes.When the tomatoes are cooked well add ¼ cup curd. Mix well. Add the shallow fried fish pieces. Make sure that the fish pieces are covered with gravy. After 5 minutes add the white paste. When the gravy becomes thick & fish is cooked remove from fire.
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan and add the whole masala (cardamom, cloves & cinnamon). Add the washed rice. When the rice starts cracking add 4 cups of boiling water, salt, coriander & mint leaves & lemon juice. Cook the rice till the water is completely dried.
- Butter a baking dish. Spread one layer of fish masala first and a layer of rice on top of it. Repeat the same. Top layer should be rice.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C, 10 mins before baking. Reduce the oven temp to 180 C and bake for 20-25 minutes. Spread a wet cloth over the dish while baking. Garnish with fried onions, nuts, and raisins. Serve the biriyani with raitha, mango chutney and pappad.
Stove Top Cooking
- Layer the rice and masala in a greased heavy bottomed vessel/non stick pan & cover it with a tight lid.
- Heat a thava/dosa kallu, when it is really hot, place the biriyani vessel on top of that. Reduce the heat to the lowest flame & cook for 20-25 minutes. Keep the heat at the lowest flame throughout, otherwise it might get burnt.
- Also place a pan of boiling water on top of the biriyani vessel at the same time.
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like