Double Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
|1 3/4 cups||plain flour|
|3/4 cup||cocoa powder|
|2 tsp||baking soda|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1 cup||buttermilk, shaken|
|1/2 cup||vegetable oil|
|2||extra-large eggs, at room temperature|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence|
|1 cup||hot coffee|
|125g||baking chocolate, for chocolate shards|
|200g||cream cheese, softened|
|175g||unsalted butter, softened|
|1 tsp||vanilla essence|
|~2 cups||icing sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 180 C. Prepare two 8-inch or 9 inch cake pans – Line with parchment, then butter and flour the pans.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
- In another bowl or large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla, gently whisk.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine – scrape up from the bottom to catch any flour mixture hiding below.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack to complete cooling.
For the icing:
- Melt the chocolate in MW or using a double boiler method. Let it cool.
- Cream together the softened cream cheese and butter. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add Vanilla essence and mix well. Add melted chocolate. Combine.
- Add 1 cup of icing sugar and mix well. Do a taste test and add the rest of the icing sugar accordingly and combine well.
For sugar syrup:
- Mix together water and sugar.
- Heat until the sugar dissolves and let it boil.
- Remove from fire and let it cool completely.
For chocolate shards:
- Melt 125 gms of baking chocolate in MW or using a double boiler method.
- Spread the melted chocolate (there is no need to cool it) on a parchment/baking paper. Cover it with another parchment paper of same size. Roll it into a tube, refrigerate it with the seam side down for 2 hours.
- Unroll the tube and the chocolate will crackle itself. Shards is ready. Use as per your liking.
Assembling the cake:
- The cake has to be cooled completely before icing.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake board & brush it with sugar syrup, make sure the entire cake is brushed.
- Place some icing on top of it & spread using a spatula. Place the other cake on top of this and repeat the process.
- After the top layer is placed and covered with icing, apply the icing around the sides as well. Now you can decorate the cake with Chocolate shards.
- Refrigerate the iced cake. Keep the refrigerated cake at room temperature for 20-30 minutes, before serving.
- Recipe makes two 9" cake pans or two 7" cake pans with 12 cupcakes excess.
- Coffee: 3 tsp of instant coffee powder + 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk substitute: 1 tbsp lemon juice (or white vinegar) + remainder in milk OR 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 extra large eggs substitute: 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like