Gingerbread Cupcakes with Orange Icing Recipe
|1/4 cup||dark rum (or water)|
|1/2 cup||golden raisins|
|1/4 lb||unsalted butter (1 stick)|
|1 cup||unsulfured molasses|
|1 cup||sour cream|
|1 1/2 tsp||grated orange zest|
|2 1/3 cups||all-purpose flour|
|3/4 tsp||baking soda|
|1 1/2 tsp||ginger, ground|
|1 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||ground cloves|
|1/2 tsp||kosher salt|
|1/3 cup||dried crystallized ginger (not in syrup), minced|
- Preheat the oven to 350F, rack in middle. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Place the rum and raisins in a small pan, cover, and heat until the rum boils. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place the butter and molasses in another small pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cool for 5 minutes, then mix in the sour cream and orange zest.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt together into a small bowl. Mix until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the molasses mixture and mix only until smooth.
- Drain the raisins and add them and the crystallized ginger to the mixture with a spatula.
- Divide the batter among the muffin pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting: mix the cream cheese, butter, orange zest and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until just combined. Add the sugar and mix until smooth.
- When the cupcakes are cool, frost them generously and garnish with a slice of crystallized ginger.
Available sales for ingredients
Recipes you might also like