Total Time: 30 minutes (Preparation) / 1 hour, 10 minutes (Cooking) Servings: 12
|2 cups (500 mL) PLUS 1/4 cups (60 mL)||all-purpose flour, divided|
|2/3 cup (150 mL)||Becel® unsalted Plant-Based Bricks|
|4 to 5 tbsp (60 to 75 mL)||ice cold water|
|1/4 cup (60 mL) PLUS 1 Tbsp (15 mL)||granulated sugar, divided|
|1/4 cup (60 mL)||firmly packed brown sugar|
|2 tsp (10 mL)||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp (1 mL)||salt|
|3 lbs (1.5 kgs)||apples (Granny Smith and McIntosh), peeled, cored and sliced, (about 8 cups)|
|1 Tbsp (15 mL)||unsweetened almond milk or oat milk|
|Salted Caramel Sauce:|
|1 can (13.5 oz)||coconut milk, full fat|
|1/2 cup (125 mL)||brown sugar|
|1/2 tsp (2 mL)||sea salt|
- For crust, add 2 cups (500 mL) flour in medium bowl. Cut in Becel® unsalted Plant-Based Bricks with pastry blender or two knives until coarse crumbs form. Add 4 to 5 Tbsp (60 to 75 mL) ice water, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time, until dough forms. Knead dough with floured hands and shape into two discs, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- For caramel sauce, combine coconut milk, brown sugar and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently, or until darkened and thickened.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Unwrap larger disc of dough and roll on floured* surface from center to edges to form 13-in. (33 cm) circle. Press into 9-in. (23 cm) pie plate; set aside.
- For filling, combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour, salt and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apples; toss until coated. Transfer apples to pie crust and drizzle with half the salted caramel sauce.
- Unwrap remaining pie dough and roll on lightly floured surface to form 10-in. (25 cm) circle. Cut decorative vent holes, if desired; or weave a lattice. Carefully place the pastry over the apples. Brush with milk alternative and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Decrease oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake 1 hour or until juices are bubbling. Cover with foil if top gets too brown. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with remaining salted caramel sauce before serving.
Tips: *For easier rolling and transfer of crust, roll dough between plastic wrap.